GARGANTUAN steps
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
monotony
Life's been pretty mundane thus far, with my laboratory work not as fascinating as I once thought it should be. Perhaps I am not taking it as seriously as I should be, but on the other hand, I feel that I'm not being taken too seriously. I shall persevere on for a while more before I decide on my next course of action. Will probably just grit my teeth and bear with things till I leave for London again, since it won't be easy to find something to keep me entertained yet having flexible working hours.Meanwhile, home's been alright. Seems like I haven't left a single day, catching up with old friends and family. Great to meet up all my church friends bar Allan (forgot about the barbeque!), Kenneth and Xing (in aussieland). Think we're too old for barbeques (at least I feel that way) and we should move on to buttered scones and tea (just joking). Perhaps pot-luck is a simple way! Perhaps I'm just being lazy.Went back to VJC to catch up with my old teachers today! Didn't really know what to say to them, and I'm quite tired of telling people why I've lost weight, and that studying is stressful and how fun Europe is. And hearing about how the syllabus has changed (for the umpteenth time) and how kids now are more spoon-fed and less motivated. I think parents have dumped their kids in a pot of complacency and given them a false sense of security and that, I personally feel, is the wrong way of bringing up a child. I wouldn't know much about how to bring up a child, but I think my parents must have done a pretty good job bringing my brother and I up.Also, caught up with Andrew, who couldn't get out of his house because he was having his house painted up. Last sighted in Hong Kong, he had spent nearly a good month and a half travelling across 7 time zones, from London to Riga to St Petersburg across Russia down to Mongolia and then to Beijing, Shang Hai and finally, Hong Kong. Would really have loved to have gone on such a trip to, but I know it's out of my league for the moment, monetary wise and also, I get pretty tired from travelling after a few days. Travelling isn't really all that fun when you're sick of moving around and spending money and eating sometimes rather unpalatable food. Even three days can seem like eternity, with hours wasted travelling on trains and airplanes, waiting for flights and delays and stuff. It really is mentally draining!Been playing floorball at Valhall with my IC friends and I'm currently in the hunt for a good stick. Planning to join the NTUC 3-on-3 Competition held at Ngee Ann City at the end of August, and I'm just short of one player! Hoping to get my old vice-captain from VJC besides myself, Hock and Jau!Other than that, I've been busy reading and watching cable TV on my computer. Just finished reading the latest Harry Potter book (since it was kindly 'lent' to me) and it wasn't too bad. I'm not a Potter fan but one must always keep up with the times. Still taking my time to read Richard Dawkin's The Selfish Gene and following that, I have A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon, The Battle for God by Karen Armstrong, From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Friedman and Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict. So as you can see, I'm up to my neck with reading, and worst still, my speed of reading has really declined quite tremendously. I intend to finish all these by the time I'm ready to go back to London. On top of that, I intend to do some studying for Year 2 just to keep my engines greased. Still have tonnes of movies to watch too! Too many things to do and too little time!Alright, that's all for now, but I leave you a picture of my bumbling bustling busy dog, Bobbie! He's really a handful, in fact, a few handfuls! But he's really friendly~
Bobbie
posted by Gabriel Yan at 8:50 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home