GARGANTUAN steps

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

who watches the

It has been quite a happening few weeks but I haven't really had the time to sit down and update my blog. My aunt and uncle went back to Singapore on Valentine's Day and I have been taking care of this huge house for the past two weeks. That means clearing up the trash, starting the cars, doing my own cooking and washing, doing my own super-marketing, checking their mails and paying their bills, and it is by no means an easy task! It's been pretty fun without them around, but there's just too much to do on top of just studying and preparing for exams!

I've gotten by my BSc Foundation course results and I've gotten a First. So that's a good start, and I hope that will aid in my application in doing an overseas attachment for my BSc year, hopefully in Tokyo!

I played in a floorball tournament, the Varsity Cup, where various universites around the UK engaged each other in competitive floorball. This wasn't my first taste of competitive floorball, since I played in the second division in Singapore, but it was the first for my fellow team-mates, and our inexperience were severely exposed. Some of us have been consistently training with the London floorball team, and that put us in good stead, but the rest clearly need more practice and we definitely need more training as a team. I didn't particularly play well, but then again, I partially dislocated my left shoulder in the first match by the Youth Team, and I also sustained a mini-concussion in the final match, thus it wasn't particularly a fun day for me. I think there is much to improve, but also much to look forward to, with the second and third leg coming up in less than a fortnight's time! Planning to get a new floorball stick because I've outgrown this current one. Below is the news report in my schools newspaper, written by our Founder Chairman of the floorball club in Imperial College. I did have a good laugh, it really reminds me of a Primary school composition on writing a newspaper report on a sports event. I feel so embarrassed.


An abstract from my favourite paragraph - " Bravely, captain Jay, vice-captain Abiel and all-round maestro Stepan volunteered to take up defensive duties. Skilled and dependable hockey-converts Gabriel and Amrik masterminded the centre, while natural poachers Hocks, Ben L and Ben G would net the goals"

Meanwhile, I have two weeks of hospital attachment left at Hillingdon Hospital before I transfer to St Mary's, which will be closer, but I'll have to go in earlier, which is quite a pain. At least I've found out that I'll be able to use my travel card on the national rail, which would save me some time. My four day Easter break is between these two attachments, but I won't be jetting off to anywhere this time round. Hoping to rent a car and perhaps go to Lake District or Cornwall for two days, and the floorball tournament will be on that Sunday itself. I don't know where my next holiday will be, besides bringing my aunt, uncle, brother and his girlfriend to Rome in June, for the third time.

Labels: ,

posted by Gabriel Yan at 4:42 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home