GARGANTUAN steps
Sunday, January 13, 2013
no time to lose
I've finally completed this book (which took longer than expected). This is the story of Peter Piot, former Assistant-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Assistant Director of the World Health Organization's Global Programme on HIV/AIDS, a trained Infectious Disease doctor and Microbiologist. In a similar mould to that of Paul Farmer, here is another inspirational character in the fight against AIDS and other global infections. So here was one of the first persons outside of Africa to arrive on the scene of the Ebola epidemic in Zaire, and also one of those leading the fight against the AIDS global epidemic. Now the director of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and also a professor at Imperial College, I never got to meet him unfortunately. Hopefully one day. Meanwhile, I leave a poignant quote from him in his book.
Two kinds of people there are in this world: those who fill garbage bins with their castoffs, and those who empty them for their survival
- Peter Piot
Labels: Books
posted by Gabriel Yan at 9:48 AM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home