GARGANTUAN steps
Monday, May 04, 2009
never a tale of more woe
I spent my Saturday afternoon at the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre watching a play that I had almost learnt by hard for my 'O' Levels. The Shakespeare's Globe Theatre is supposed to be modelled after the original theatre in which Shakespeare was associated with way back in the 16th century. The original was burnt down in the 17th century, and the current Globe Theatre was only opened in 1997. It was quite amazing, walking into this set-up, and having to stand in the yard for the entire duration of the play, which was three hours long! I had a massive lower backache at the end of the play, but it was really worth it. The acting was phenomenal (judged by my rather lowly acting criteria) and the minstrels were excellent.
Thanks to the intense interpretation of the text way back when I was 16, I had a much greater appreciation of the play. I probably would not have enjoyed it half as much as I did if I hadn't taken Literature. Romeo and Juliet is probably one of the most well-known love stories and I think everyone yearns to experience such a deep, selfless romance. This also brought back happy memories of my secondary school mates - you guys know who you are! I'm sure Lim, Pork and Kenn Yeoh would have enjoyed this.
Thanks to the intense interpretation of the text way back when I was 16, I had a much greater appreciation of the play. I probably would not have enjoyed it half as much as I did if I hadn't taken Literature. Romeo and Juliet is probably one of the most well-known love stories and I think everyone yearns to experience such a deep, selfless romance. This also brought back happy memories of my secondary school mates - you guys know who you are! I'm sure Lim, Pork and Kenn Yeoh would have enjoyed this.
The interior of the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
Meanwhile, it's back to the real world, the grit and grime of medical school life, late nights and long days, a lethal combination that crushes every one of us, till there's nothing left.
posted by Gabriel Yan at 12:11 AM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home