GARGANTUAN steps

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

a promised land

Delayed starting this book till the turn of the year, and finished it serendipitously on the day of the US Presidential inauguration of the 46th POTUS. A book about love, lost, and compromise, and a tad depressing at times! It was written all too real at times, the filibuster, the endless insurmountable crisis, the lost of precious family time, and at times it seems all for naught. The humour shone through as well - to quote Mitch McConnell - "You must be under the mistaken impression that I care." 

" All of it was forgotten now, none of it mattered, the pharaoh, the slave, and the vandal all long turned to dust. Just as every speech I’d delivered, every law I passed and decision I made, would soon be forgotten. Just as I and all those I loved would someday turn to dust."


" But who knows?" I said, looking around the table. " There's no guarantee we can pull it off. Here's one thing I know for sure, though. I know that the day I raise my right hand and take the oath to be president of the United States, the world will start looking at America differently. I know that kids all around this country - Black kids, Hispanic kids, kids who don't fit in - they'll see themselves differently, too, their horizons lifted, their possibilities expanded. And that alone...that would be worth it." - Barack Obama

Labels:

posted by Gabriel Yan at 11:01 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home